Hydropower plant: Penstock
Diameter ND1000 with restrained joint. 30 bar pressure. Steep slopes without concrete blocks.
Volcano, Chiriquí, Panamá
Located on the slopes of the Totuma volcano in the Chiriquí region, the project consists of a 7 MW hydropower plant.
In the case of the hydropower plant, CONSTRUTEC’s engineering services designed the storage chamber with all its elements, elaborated the detailed engineering, installation manual and supervision of the construction phase of the project, as well as the criteria of the pressure test. All the necessary equipment to achieve perfect operation were defined and supplied: Ductile iron pipes in ND 1000 with all their bends, tees, connection terminals with storage chamber and connection to the powerhouse, including all necessary disassembly valves and spools.
The keystone in the project success
- 40% reduction in the initial budget which included anchors, providing greater safety, useful life and long-term profitability, without maintenance cost.
- Supervision and control up to the pressure test by the design team itself.
Benefits and advantages of our solution:
- Does not require anchor blocks.
- No expansion joints.
- Very high installation ratio: Lok&Play®.
- Very complex areas. Extreme slopes.
- Admits very high pressures.
- Using and not using trench.
- No welding, no problems. Even in a flooded trench.
- Minimal pressure head losses.
- Operation guaranty, avoiding breakdowns and service interruptions.
- Outdated iron pipes replacement.