Hydroelectric: Forced Pipeline (Penstock).
Diameter DN 36 “(950 mm) and 24”
Both with locked joint and 25 bar pressure
QUETZAL – Guatemala
The project consists of a low pressure line to a loading chamber where it connects to the DN 36 “ductile iron pipe from CONSTRUTEC DUKTIL.
The conduction runs through a orographic zone with a steep slope, complicated for any alternative that requires concrete blocks due to its high cost given the complex conditions of pipe installation, especially in the final section of connection with the powerhouse where it is required of a branch to split the pipe and connect with the two turbines. All this in a section of slope and without requiring an anchorage.
In the case of the hydroelectric power station, the CONSTRUTEC engineering services participate in the design of the conduction, modeling the system with specialized software. The cargo loading chamber with all its elements was designed, and detailed engineering, installation manual and supervision of the construction phase of the conduction were designed. The pressure test criteria will remain determined.
CONSTRUTEC supplied all the necessary equipment to achieve perfect operation: Ductile iron cast pipes in DN 36 “+ 24”, as well as all its cables, tests, connection terminals with load chamber and connection to the house of machines, including all necessary disassembly valves and reels.
The entire conduction line of the forced pipe (corrugated) was executed with pipe with the locked system of double chamber (Lok & Play) of origin USA and dimensional criteria of the AWWA standard. The interior lining chosen has been Portland cement with a Seal coat. The exterior protection used is zinc 200 g / m2 and a black bitumen finish layer, a classic in iron pipes that covers 90% of the land where the pipes are installed.
Keys to project success
- 40% reduction in the initial budget with anchors, providing greater safety, useful life and long-term profitability, without maintenance costs.
- Supervision and control up to the pressure test by the design team itself
Benefits and advantages of our solution:
- Does not require concrete blocks (No expansion joints)
- Very high placement performance: Lok & Play (Plug and play)
- Very complex areas and extreme slopes
- Supports very high pressures
- With trench or without trench
- Seamless, seamless, even in a waterlogged trench
- Minimal head loss
- Operation guarantee, without breakdowns or service interruptions
- Obsolete steel pipe replacements